My role: UX Research, UI Design
Tools used: Adobe XD
Timeline: August 2020
Teammates: Christine Deng, Joel Ryerson
Restore is an app focused on providing care to survivors of human trafficking. Through testimonials, news stories, and trivia, users can learn about the current state of the issue and empathize with survivors. After that, they have the option to donate money to nonprofit organizations that support survivors through the form of gift boxes.
Users choose from four gift boxes providing support to survivors under the themes medical care, childcare, aftercare, or justice. Because users choose the money they donate is being used, Restore provides transparency and agency, empowering the users who donate.
This project was done for the Adobe Professional + Oxfam Creative Jam, a two day design hackathon. By the end of the hackathon, we designed a fully clickable prototype via Adobe XD and placed as a top 10 finalist. (So proud of us!)
You can view the clickable prototype here.
Three months before this hackathon, the Epstein documentary had come out on Netflix, and we all had just watched it. We wanted to use this hackathon as an opportunity for us to investigate ways we can take action to support survivors.
Because human trafficking is such a sensitive topic, it was important for us that we navigated the topic with great care. I looked into organizations that provided aid to survivors such as FAIR Girls, Rescue:Freedom, Freedom Network USA, and Save the Children, to not only see what kind of aid they provided for survivors but also the language that they used to empower them. Then, I categorized the different forms of aid that those organizations provided (medical response, aftercare, justice/policy, and childcare).
This gave us the idea for our app to be a tool to help these organizations get more donations.
I also looked at different apps that allowed people to donate to different charities such as RoundUp, ShareTheMeal: Charity Donate, and Momentum. I really liked the ways in which these apps provided full transparency as to where the money was going and how easy they made the process of donating. I wanted our app to provide that transparency and ease as well.
After analyzing competitors, we brainstormed features for the app. One of our main personas was someone who has interest in supporting the cause. So in addition to a donation and payment function, we wanted to further inspire and motivate them to take action and make them feel good about doing so.
We focused on 3 main functions to our app as straightforward as possible:
Then, we planned out the general site structure surrounding those functions.
Using the categories of forms of aid from the competitor analysis, we broke the different box options to 4 different types — medical care, childcare, aftercare, and justice.
With the general structure of the app established, I started looking for inspiration to design the interface.
To begin, I pooled some inspo from Behance and Dribbble for the visual design. I really liked the feel of cards with rounded corners that looked like they were bleeding off the screen for the added visual interest, as well as using a rounded rectangle that looked like it was on top of the background to subtly create an illusion of layers and depth.
For the color palette, I pooled some palettes from some digital art that I found online. I wanted the color palette to feel warm and inviting. Option 1, 3, and 5 felt a little too bold and loud, and option 4 a little too muted. Eventually we settled on Option 2 because the palette felt more balanced.
With the structure of the app and general visual elements established, the building out the app became pretty straightforward.
I started out with building out some general wireframes using the stylistic elements I enjoyed from the inspiration I had pulled.
Because we were short on time, once the look became generally solidified, I moved on to building out the high fidelity mockups. I worked on the design of the home, gift box pages, and the checkout flow, which you can see below.
View the clickable prototype here.
I had a lot of fun staying up late and powering through the night with Christine and Joel to get this project completed. I'll have to say, Christine's illustration skills really pulled the designs together. It felt really great to receive such positive feedback from the judges of the hackathon. (And of course also place!)
Our biggest piece of feedback from the judges was regarding the user experience: it would have helped for the content of our boxes to provide more clarity in terms of how exactly the money is being used. If we had more time, the effectiveness of our UX writing and content definitely could have been reviewed more thoroughly and tested.